The Kalita is one of the classic flat bottom brewers and comes in a larger (Kalita 185) and a smaller (Kalita 155) size. This recipe comes from Alex Smith, better know as The Kitchen Guy on Instagram. The recipe, and flat bottom drippers in general, can help bring out the flavor in darker roasted coffees (a favorite of Alex’s). This is a larger recipe better suited for the 185 size, but can easily be scaled down for a smaller cup and the smaller 155.
Dark Roast Kalita Recipe
- Kalita 185 coffee filters
- 22 grams coffee ground medium coarse
- 350 grams 205°F (96°C) water
- Bloom coffee with 50 grams of 205°F (96°C) water
- At 0:45, slowly pour 150 grams of water over grounds
- At 2:00, slowly pour the final 150 grams of water over grounds
- Brew should complete around 3:30
- This recipe is intended for the larger Kalita 185 brewer, but can easily be scaled down to work with the Kalita 155
Prefer a more visual version of the brew recipe?
I created infographics of each recipe, which you can see below. You can also find it on Instagram here.