Brew Guide | October 9, 2023
Pull & Pour Special Release 009: Gesha Village Oma Honey
Kaldi's Coffee + Pull & Pour Coffee
- Bloom coffee with 50g of water in a circular pattern. Keep the kettle off heat to slowly lower the temperature.
- Between 0:45-1:15, slowly pour 100g in a circular pattern, gently swirl.
- Between 1:30-2:00 (or when water level is right about the brew bed), slowly pour 100g in a circular pattern.
- Between 2:15-2:30, slowly pour the final 50g in a circular pattern, gently swirl.
- Allow drawdown. Final brew time should be between 3:00-3:30.
With Ethiopian coffees you are more likely to get more fines, so you want to avoid too much agitation during brewing that could stall the brew and lead to unwanted astringencies.
Ethiopian coffees also tend to extract high, so I like to start with a higher water temperature and let it slowly decrease. This extracts the most at the beginning of the brew, which is generally what we want.