The 2021 Canadian AeroPress championship was held in September. With the AeroPress competition, all participants use the same coffee (for Canada it was Shoondhisa, an Ethiopian coffee from Rabbit Hole Roasters). Usually, they would participate live and make the recipe themselves, but with COVID this year in Canada they did it virtually. The participants submitted detailed recipes and then were available via live stream to answer questions about it. The winner of the competition was Pedro Furtado. Below is his winning AeroPress.
2021 Canadian AeroPress Champion Brew Recipe
- AeroPress Coffee maker
- AeroPress filters (Aesir V2 filter)
- 16 grams coffee ground medium fine
- 240 mL 190°F (88°C) water divided
- Begin with AeroPress in the inverted position. Rinse Aesir V2 filter & add to cap with the soft side on the inside.
- Insert the plunger passing the number 4
- Add ground coffee to AeroPress
- Add 100g waterto AeroPress & allow to bloom for 15 seconds.
- Stir 10x with stick, like Kruve brewstick or metal straw.
- Add 100g of water into chamber. Push up slowly until the crust reaches the bottom.
- Replace cap with filter on top of the chamber & wait.
- Pour 40mL of brew water into the server & let it chill.
- At 2 minutes, start pressing for 30 seconds into server. Stop pressing before you hear the hiss.
- The coffee is ground medium-fine at around 700 microns or around 25 clicks on the Comandante C40 grinder.
- The goal with the recipe is to reduce completely the bitterness & focus on the fruit notes
Prefer a more visual version of the brew recipe?
I created infographics of each recipe, which you can see below. You can also find it on Instagram here.